About Me

 Welcome to My Blog.  I’m Melvin Pariyadan, a second-semester data science student with a passion for diving deep into the world of computer vision and robotics. My background is a mix of academic and real-world experience—I completed my bachelor’s degree in Informatics in Vienna, worked at Siemens as a data scientist, and now balance my studies with a part-time job as a scientific assistant at ZHAW. I’m excited to share my journey through the AI Seminar lecture.

Why I Chose the AI Seminar

I signed up for the AI Seminar because I felt it was the perfect chance to sharpen my skills in reading scientific papers and boost my communication skills. These are areas where I knew I could improve, and the course’s focus aligns well with my personal and professional development goals. It was also the perfect opportunity to learn about my VT Project that I need to do for my university at the same time. Two birds with one stone.

Digging Deeper into My Topic

For my topic, I decided to explore dive into computer vision and robotics. My topic is Perception and Point Cloud Segmentation of Deformable Objects. Why this topic? Well, it is a mix of fields that I am interested in. AI and Computer vision are topics that I find fascinating. Working at ZHAW, I got introduced to their robotics labs which gave me the unique opportunity to combine my interests in robotics and AI. In my topic, a robot will move around a rope and the goal is to use a camera with a depth sensor to capture it, then process it such that at each point in time we know where the rope is and its exact coordinates - we segment-  the rope.

What is the point of that? Well there is another colleague working on rope simulations, so trying to simulate how a rope behaves under different conditions. We plan to use the robot to make an actual rope move around and be able to compare the results with the simulation to improve it. My topic essentially gives the simulation the ability to see how a rope moves to learn from it.


My Learning Goals

  • Expanding my knowledge in my topic: to improve my understanding of camera calibration, computer vision, 3D Image segmentation as well as robotics
  • Mastering Research Skills to be proficient in reading, dissecting and discussing scientific literature
  • Improving communication skills: By actively participating in group discussions and learning to be aware of the communication medium, channel, audience etc and being able to adapt quickly to get your message through









Comments

  1. Nice write-up, Melvin. Your goals are clear, realistic, and make good sense given your motivations + project work. 🙂

    I didn't know you used to work as a Data Scientist but that explains a lot with the MLOps group project 😄 how cool! Do you find the communication & research skills you used in industry overlap much with the skills you now use in academia?

    I was also wondering about any applications of the robot & rope simulations you're working on. Are you guys hoping to scale or transfer your findings elsewhere or are those simulations part of a specific problem that would be interesting to solve/optimise for?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Critical Assessment of the Module: AI Seminar

Critically analysing writing style of seed paper: RGB-D Tracking and Optimal Perception of Deformable Objects